FIXED: input list not populating properly - hopefully. Please do let me know.
This is SamSamSampler, a Max for Live instrument designed primarily for live performance. It lets the user quickly record and play samples as one-shots or tempo-synced loops.
This is a limited beta (max 100 unique downloads). It's currently under development, so you're welcome to download it for free and play around with it. By supporting my work with a donation of your own choice, you will receive future updates of this device for free!
Here's how the device works: first, the user records a segment of desired length of real-time audio from the selected source (external input or any track, including Master). Then, the sample can be triggered by a MIDI note-on message as a one-shot or a loop. There are a few key things to know about this device:
- The sample will be triggered in Gate mode, meaning that it will stop playing once it receives a note off message. However, if the player holds the MIDI note long enough, it will start looping.
- The loop isn't quantized to the Live grid, but it's still tempo-synced! The loop length is adjusted dynamically so that the whole sample fits in, but instead of looping out of sync, it loops again at the nearest bar duration. Thus, the user can perform in sync with the tempo without needing a click track!
- The recorded sampe may be any desired length - when looping, silence will be added at the end of the sample to make sure it stays tempo-synced.
Multiple instances of SamSamSampler can be inserted in a drum rack; each record button must be mapped manually, while the incoming MIDI note corresponding to the drum rack will start the loop.
I'm planning to implement the following features:
- sync to a desired length (beats/bars)
- toggle auto-expand loop length
- filter, pitch and ADSR controls
- waveform display
- UI improvements